Brit Sues Nokia For £1million Claiming Mobile Phone Caused His Brain Tumor!

Posted by & filed under 5G Health Risks, 5G News, Mobile Phone Hazard, news, Stop5G, Stop5G News, Stop5G.net.

Fb.com/groups/Stop5G - Fb.me/Stop5G - Twitter.com/Stop5G

Brit Sues Nokia For £1million Claiming Mobile Phone Caused His Brain Tumor! Neil Whitfield, 60, and his family believe his cancer was caused by his Nokia phone (Image: Peter Powell / Sunday Mirror)

A salesman who suffered a brain tumour is suing Nokia for ­“significant” compensation which could hit £1million – in a case that could cost mobile phone firms a fortune.

Father-of-six Neil Whitfield, 60, claims heavy mobile phone use in the late 1990s caused a deadly growth.

His job meant using a phone for long spells – and in the days before it was illegal he had the gadget pressed to his ear while driving.

Neil developed an acoustic neuroma tumour on a nerve between his inner ear and brain.

He was left deaf in one ear after surgery in 2001 to remove a growth the size of a golf ball. He also suffers with balance problems.

An x-ray of the tumour that appeared in Neil’s brain (Image: Getty Images)

Neil said: “I have no doubt my tumour was caused by mobile phones.

“I spent almost five years glued to my phone hours at a time until I was diagnosed. I could feel the heat coming off it.

“I know this is going to be a real David and Goliath battle. It might take a while before it’s settled but I won’t give up.

“This is for the future of my children and kids everywhere.”

Neil is the first Brit to sue a mobile phone company on these grounds and the case – six years in the making – could trigger hundreds of similar claims.

Neil and wife Caroline are after ‘significant’ compensation from Nokia (Image: Peter Powell / Sunday Mirror)

His battle for “significant” ­compensation comes as a controversial report alleges cell phones could be behind a surge in certain tumours.

Solicitor Katrina Pope, of London Corporate Legal, in Mayfair, expects to make a “strong claim” by the end of 2018.

Katrina, who has been working unpaid on the case since 2012, said: “A win in the High Court could set a legal precedent for other cases which we are aware of and that are watching our progress.

“It is ultimately about justice for many people who have, akin to Neil, been victims of what some experts describe as the ‘smoking gun of the 21st century’.

Neil believes using his Nokia phone had a devastating effect on his health

“Neil’s personal injury claim is outside the legal time frame of three years. We argue it’s only now that the technology exists for radiation testing to allow us to bring the case – the first in Britain.”

Millions of Brits used Nokia phones in the 1990s. In 1995 just seven per cent of Brits had a cell phone but by 1999 one was sold every four seconds – and Nokia was the biggest manufacturer of mobiles.

Figures published last week show cases of a brain tumour called glioblastoma in England rose from 983 to 2,531 between 1995 and 2015. It is found in the forehead and side regions of the brain.

And a study in the Journal of Public Health and Environment found higher rates of tumours in the frontal ­tem-poral lobe which “raises the suspicion mobile and cordless phone use may be promoting gliomas”.

The surgeon who operated on Neil has not ruled out the possibility that the phone caused the tumour

Neil, from Wigan, Gtr Manchester, had to give up his job as a construction material salesman because he refused to carry on using mobiles. His claim centres around years of lost income and reduced ­retirement payments after a £20,000-a-year drop in pay to become a college lecturer.

Katrina added: “It is quite possible that a claim for life-changing damages such as Neil’s could achieve a compensation award in the region of £1million.”

The law firm has commissioned experts to carry out radiation tests on Nokia phones used by Neil, including the 5510. Katrina said: “The evidence is being collated.”

Lawyer Katrina Pope is representing Neil

The surgeon who removed Neil’s tumour at Manchester’s Royal ­Infirmary, Professor Shakeel Saeed, said of the case: “At a personal level one cannot rule out the risk based on the current evidence.”

The debate over possible hazards has raged for 20 years. Scientific studies have mostly concluded they pose no peril at the level of most people’s use.

One expert backing Neil, Dr Erica Mallery-Blythe, specialises in conditions related to radio frequency ­radiation and other ­electromagnetic fields. She cited a study by the American National Toxicology Program, which she said demonstrated “clear evidence” of ­schwannoma – tumours of nerve sheath – after testing mobile phone radiation on rats.

Occupational and environmental consultant Colin Purnell said older phones held a greater risk because there were fewer masts in the 1990s and mobiles had to emit greater radiation levels to pick up signals.

Neil’s phones will be subject to radiation tests as part of the court battle (Image: Peter Powell / Sunday Mirror)

Cancer Research moved to quell panic, saying there is no conclusive evidence that mobiles cause problems.

Dr Lion Shahab, senior lecturer in ­epidemiology and public health at ­University College London, said: “Many environmental and lifestyle factors have changed. While there has been a rise in this type of tumour, it would be premature to conclude this is due to mobile phones.”

While experts are divided on the risks, Neil, meanwhile, told how his life has been greatly affected. He said: “I can’t even wear a hearing aid because all my inner ear organs had to be removed.

“If I go swimming and close my eyes I go round in circles. I loved music but I’ve been robbed of that too because the stereo element has been taken away.

“My youngest son Harry, 13, is desperate for a mobile but I worry about giving him one. Companies should at least put ­warnings on packaging so people can make informed choices. I just hope the legal action makes a change for the good.”

Last night Nokia said safety “has always been a key consideration”.

A spokesman said: “All products comply with ­international exposure guidelines and limits that are set by public health ­authorities.

“The World Health ­Organisation factsheet states that ‘A large number of studies have been performed over the last two decades to assess whether mobile phones pose a potential health risk. To date, no adverse health effects have been ­established for mobile phone use’.”

Nokia 3310 mobile
A Nokia 3310 phone which was very popular before smartphones were developed (Image: Hull Daily Mail)

More radiation as old phones found a signal

Experts claim old mobile phones carried a greater health risk than modern units as they produced greater radiation to receive signals.

Colin Purnell, an environmental consultant, says early models had to emit more radiofrequency to connect with fewer masts available in the 1990s.

He said: “If you are looking at something in the distance and you can’t see it you might want to use a pair of binoculars to improve the power of your eyes.

Stop5G.net

Stop5G.net

“Well, it’s the same with mobile phones. In the old days there weren’t as many masts as now and if you operated your phone in a bad signal area it chucked out more radiation to find the power base. The risk associated with mobile phone use now is probably less then in the ’90s.

“There are more masts and the technology is better to detect signals without a lot of radiation.”

He said the way people use their phones today – using texts or Skype – also reduces the risk because it keeps phones away from the face.

Brit dad, 60, sues Nokia to prove that using his mobile phone caused his brain tumour

NOKIA 3310
The question of whether phone radiation causes damage to our health remains unclear (Image: Nokia)

World is glued to UK case

An Italian lawyer whose landmark case ruled a link between tumours and mobile phones said Neil’s battle would be watched by the world.

Stefano Bertone won a state-funded pension for Roberto Romeo, 57, after claiming excessive mobile use caused his acoustic neuroma tumour – the same type as Neil’s.

Roberto who used his phone for work for three to four hours every day for 15 years.

A court in Ivrea, Italy, awarded him £418 a month under a government workplace insurance scheme.

Stefano said: “We watch the UK case with interest. The argument required to prove causation in Roberto’s case against a government agency was less than would be required in a case against the manufacturer. The outcome in Mr Whitfield’s case will be used in other cases across the world.

“In America the class action is tied up in lengthy legal process, so Europe really is leading the field.”

Source Article

 

Stop5G.net

Stop5G.net

 

 

Salesman father-of-six sues Nokia for ‘up to £1million’ in landmark legal case after claiming heavy mobile phone use caused his brain tumour

  • Neil Whitfield, 60, developed acoustic neuroma tumour between ear and brain
  • He was left deaf in one ear after 2001 operation to remove golf ball-sized growth
  • Greater Manchester ex-salesman is first Brit to sue mobile phone firm like this
  • Scientist claim old mobiles produced more radiation to be able to get signal 
  • Nokia insist all their products are in compliance with World Health guidelines  

A former salesman is suing Nokia for as much as £1million over claims heavy mobile phone use caused his brain tumour.

Neil Whitfield, 60, is believed to be the first Brit to sue a mobile phone company on such grounds and if he succeeds it could cost the industry millions.

The father-of-six, of Wigan, Greater Manchester, became deaf in one ear after an operation to remove an acoustic neuroma tumour in 2001.

The golf ball-sized growth meant he refused to carry on using mobile phones and lost his job as a salesman.

He believes long periods on the phone for work in the 1990s is the reason behind his health battle.

Neil Whitfield (pictured right with his son) is suing Nokia over claims sustained mobile phone usage resulted in a brain tumour that has left him deaf in one ear 

Neil Whitfield (pictured right with his son) is suing Nokia over claims sustained mobile phone usage resulted in a brain tumour that has left him deaf in one ear

Mr Whitfield told the Sunday Mirror: ‘I have no doubt my tumour was caused by mobile phones.

‘I spent almost five years glued to my phone hours at a time until I was diagnosed. I could feel the heat coming off it.

‘I know this is going to be a real David and Goliath battle. It might take a while before it’s settled but I won’t give up. This is for the future of my children and kids everywhere.’

Mr Whitfield had to take a £20,000-a-year pay cut when he lost his job as a salesman and became a college lecturer instead.

His claim centres around a loss of income and reduced pension payments. He has been embroiled in the legal battle for nearly six years.

Millions of people across Britain used Nokia phones in the 1990s, after they became one of the top phone retailers when mobiles came onto the market.

The father-of-six, of Wigan, Greater Manchester, became deaf in one ear after an operation to remove an acoustic neuroma tumour in 2001. File image used 

The father-of-six, of Wigan, Greater Manchester, became deaf in one ear after an operation to remove an acoustic neuroma tumour in 2001. File image used

In 1999 a Nokia phone was sold every four seconds. Older mobile phones are believed to have emitted greater levels of radiation, which they needed to get any signal.

A recent study in the Journal of Public Health and Environment revealed more tumours are developing in the frontal temporal lobe – affecting the front and side of the brain – which suggests mobile phone use could be a major factor.

Older mobile phones are believed to have emitted greater levels of radiation, which they needed to get any signal. File image 

Older mobile phones are believed to have emitted greater levels of radiation, which they needed to get any signal. File image

While the surgeon who removed Mr Whitfield’s tumour at Manchester’s Royal Infirmary said he ‘couldn’t rule out the risk’ of mobile phone use, the near 30-year debate on whether mobiles are dangerous has proved mainly inconclusive.

Cancer Research UK also supports the view there is no direct link between phone usage and development of cancerous growths.

Lawyers are still confident Mr Whitfield will win his fight, with Mayfair solicitor Katrina Pope telling the Mirror she expects to make a ‘strong claim’ by the end of 2018.

Meanwhile Mr Whitfield wants phone companies to put warnings on packaging, similar to those on tobacco products in the UK.

Nokia says all their products are compliant with health guidelines.

A company spokesman told the newspaper: ‘All products comply with ­international exposure guidelines and limits that are set by public health ­authorities.

‘The World Health ­Organisation factsheet states that ‘A large number of studies have been performed over the last two decades to assess whether mobile phones pose a potential health risk.

‘To date, no adverse health effects have been ­established for mobile phone use’.’

MailOnline has contacted Nokia for further comment.

Be Sociable, Share!